Our Real Estate Department has been retained by many of the Bay Area’s most sophisticated companies to structure, negotiate and finance their development of corporate campuses. In such transactions, we have an essential project team role with responsibility for advising on deal structure and negotiating and documenting acquisition, development and financing, always working closely with the clients, their in-house counsel, their partners, their lenders and their design and construction professionals. Listed below are some of the corporate transactions in which we have been involved.
- ADOBE SYSTEMS INCORPORATED. We represented Adobe in development of its headquarters on property owned by the San Jose Redevelopment Agency in downtown San Jose. The project comprises two office towers, one of 375,000 square feet and the other of 275,000 square feet. We initially assisted Adobe in structuring this transaction with the San Jose Redevelopment Agency. We were responsible for negotiation and documentation of the transaction as well as the project financing. The project is based on a complex ground lease financing and includes several operating agreements for the joint use of parking and other facilities.
We also represented Adobe in structuring and negotiating its 300,000 square foot office facility in Seattle, Washington.
- ORACLE CORPORATION. We represented Oracle in structuring the development of its headquarters at the Centrum Project in Redwood City, including site review and negotiation of land purchases, ground leases, occupancy leases and development financing. The campus site has been developed with over 1,500,000 square feet of office space in six high-rise office towers with many amenities. The financing for several of the buildings was structured as synthetic leases for tax and accounting purposes.
- SYNOPSIS, INC. We represented Synopsys in its headquarters and field transactions, recently completing a build-to-suit lease for two 100,000 square foot buildings and negotiations for the acquisition of a future campus site.
- AUTODESK INC. We represented Autodesk in negotiations for a 115,000 square foot build-to-suit headquarters building in San Rafael, California, and in leasing of 200,000 square feet of adjacent office space.
- ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES. We represented AMD in the acquisition and financing of a headquarters facility in Sunnyvale, including refinancing of the site through a bondable net lease vehicle.
- NETWORK EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGIES. We represented Network Equipment Technologies on a 300,000 square foot built-to-suit campus-style transaction in Fremont, California.
- SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY - CITY OF SAN JOSE LIBRARY. We represent San Jose State University in planning and construction of a campus library being developed in association with the City of San Jose. Only a handful of libraries in the world are shared by a university and a city. We created the document that governs the relationship between the University and the City.