Shartsis Friese is proud to have been listed among the Top Corporate Philanthropists in the Greater Bay Area by San Francisco Business Times each year since 2007, ranking #70 in 2020. Our lawyers and staff continue to support numerous organizations throughout the Bay Area with their contributions of time and money. A significant number of our attorneys serve on non-profit boards of directors for local Bay Area and national organizations.
In 2004, the Firm founded the Shartsis Friese LLP Public Interest Fellowship, which for a two-year period subsidizes a staff attorney position at a selected organization providing legal services to San Francisco Bay Area community members who cannot afford legal services. In the past, the Fellowship has been awarded to the Sword to Plowshares, Open Door Legal, East Bay Community Law Center, Bay Area Legal Aid, Centro Legal de la Raza, Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center, and the Family Violence Law Center.
Shartsis Friese has also established an annual scholarship at Students Rising Above, which covers the expense of sending several low income, first generation college students to college each year, along with providing tutoring, personal mentoring, career coaching, and job training workshops. In 2015, five students received the Shartsis Friese Scholarship.
Shartsis Friese is an active participant in the annual Food From the Bar campaign to benefit the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank drive. The firm regularly is among the top firms in the Bay Area that donate financial resources, volunteer hours, and perishable food items to the Food Bank.
We are proud to provide volunteer services and/or financial support to the following organizations:
- AIDS Legal Referral Panel
- American Jewish Committee
- Asian Women’s Shelter
- Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Bananas, Inc.
- Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors
- Bay Area Legal Aid
- Belden Club
- Berkeley FILM Foundation
- Berkeley Food & Housing Project
- Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco
- California Lawyers for the Arts
- California Rural Legal Assistance
- CASA of Contra Costa County
- Centro Legal de la Raza
- Concord Historical Society
- Disability Rights Advocates
- East Bay Community Law Center
- Emeryville Center for the Arts
- Equal Rights Advocates
- Family Violence Law Center
- Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and
- Girls Inc. of Alameda County
- Hedge Funds Care
- Hidden Genius Project
- Homeless Action Center
- Huckleberry Youth Program
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- La Raza Centro Legal, Inc.
- Lambda Legal
- Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights
- Legal Aid of Marin
- Legal Aid Society – Employment
- Legal Services for Children, Inc.
- Maccabi USA/Sports for Israel
- Nicaraguan Children’s Friendship
- Northern Light School
- Public Advocates, Inc.
- Rebuilding Together
- San Francisco AIDS Foundation
- San Francisco Beautiful
- San Francisco CASA Program
- San Francisco Food Bank
- San Ramon Valley Little League
- SF Camerawork
- SFJazz Organization
- The BASF Foundation
- The Financial Women’s Association of
San Francisco Scholarship Fund
- University of California, Berkeley
Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
- Up On Top
- Voice of Witness
- Worldwatch Institute
- Youth Musical Theater Company
- Youth Spirit Artwork